Wednesday, May 25, 2005


Friday Night
Friday Night
_______________________________

"Cheese or Pepperoni?" you yelled from the hall.

It annoys me when you turn to me for answers. From your gelled-up hairdo, down to the color of your Chucks. From your choice of who's going to be the next American Idol to the lucid decision-making on what pizza to order on this cold, rainy, Friday night. It seems as if you've got this insatiable yearning for answers from me. It's always been like that from the start. It always had to be you...and me.

"Uh, cheese." I replied, while scanning through the latest issue of Candy.

He's just not that into you.

The heading of one article caught my eye. Before I knew it, The O.C. was over and I was done drooling over Seth Cohen. I immediately found myself totally engrossed by the paragraphs which seemed to relay my hidden fears.

I hear a bag of chips being torn open and saw that big athletic physique I'm so familiar with running towards the big red couch I forced him to buy when he was just moving in.

"What are you reading?"

"Nothing..." I said, while biting my lip in deep engrossment and amazement of the truths I was currently reading.

"Tss..Let me see that!"

You grab the magazine from me, and I frantically try to get it back. The low-cut jeans I was wearing didn't help me at all as I tried to grab you by the arm as you swooped down the carpeted floor.

"How..do you know...if your boy's head over heels...or just simply...playing..." you recited, as if you were re-living our elementary days when we were asked to read our textbooks out loud.

"Give me that!" I managed to finally come in contact with your greatest weakness. I started tickling you incessantly on your sides and behind your ears while I managed to hide the magazine behind the big, blue, pillows I was resting on.

"You should know better than to mess with me Mister!" I shouted, as I tickle-tortured you even more.

"Hahaha! Maya, stop it! You're killing me! Hahaha!"

I decided to finally let you go, not becuase I wanted to spare you from the torture, but because I didn't want you to have an asthma attack again. The last time that happened, my Mom didn't know what to do with you so she called your Mom and your whole family ended up coming to your rescue as they rushed into our house.

"Do you know how embarassing that was? Having a boy see you read about boys? I don't tease you when you read Playboy, or Sports Unlimited, or..I dont know, The Buzz magazine..."

You seemed to have finally stop laughing and stood up right away as if you were Miriam Quiambao trying to impress the judges.

"Aha! But I don't read any of those magazines! The Buzz? Give me a break! You of all people should know that...and why the heck are you embarassed? And besides, you're the one who's so into that bald headed guy...you loved him to the point where you even ignored me..."

I paused.

"What...?" I uncomfortably uttered while I raised my left eyebrow at him. I already told him not to mention him anymore. Why did he have to remind me?

"...You know, that bald Boy Abunda guy. You watch him every Sunday. You even missed my game once, remember?" he replied, looking clueless yet cute. Very cute.

I could tell that you noticed my sudden change in facial expressions. If there was one person who could decipher me like Dr. Phil, t would be you.

"Did I...say anything wrong?"

"Oh..Um no, I just thought...Uh, never mind. "

I breathe a sigh of relief and try to look for the magazine I stashed behind the pillow a while ago.

"You just thought...what?"

I kept on searching for the mag while trying to appear as if I didn't hear anything.

"I get it," you said, with that smug look on your face.

"You get what?"

"You thought I was talking about him...didn't you? Not him again. That bastard's caused you enough pain..." he said, in a annoying im-teasing-you kind of way.

And you had to stress on the "him" part.

I stared at you for a while and finally managed to let something out of my mouth.

"Shut up, Benj..."

I realized that that caught you. We let a few seconds pass and I subconsciously thanked you for not lengthening the awkward reminiscing. I finally found the magazine behind the couch and one by one, I turned the pages.

"I thought this Friday night was just going to be like the times we've shared for the past few years as friends. I thought that that evening, I've already cried enough for Marissa and Ryan, and Seth and Summer. I thought all those popcorn and chips were enough to keep us both preoccupied the whole night. Yet here he was, Benjie, reminding me of the past I tried so hard to bury. So much for helping your best friend let go of the past..." I thought.

Another sigh was heard, but this time it was from him. I was still turning from page to page, and I could tell that Benj was still staring at me. I was too wrapped up in my thoughts to feel butterflies in my stomach or feel conscious like the way I always react when he stares at me. I was drowning in that blast from the past. I thought the pang was already out of my system. I thought I had forgotten about the whole thing already and that the mere thought of him could be easily surpassed. I thought I was completely over him...but it turned out that I was wrong.

I was too lost in my thoughts during the next moments that I didn't realize I was already on the page of the article I was reading earlier. I was too preoccupied by my sudden burst of emotions that I didn't notice the tear that swelled up in my eye.
I was too confused to even think straight, but I was certainly not ready for what was about to happen next...

You slowly sat beside me, and stared at me as if I were this intricate painting being put on display, with all its color and vividness. You put the pillow aside, carefully tucked my hair by left ear, and softly whispered...

"I'm sorry...It's gonna be all right. I promise," you said, and those words dug into my heart.

You then stared me in the eye, wiped my tears and held on to me tight...as if you were never gonna let go.

"I'm here for you, Maya...I'm here..."

I closed my eyes and the tear streaked down my cheek. Right there and then, I felt my body drown in his embrace.

"...I know"

------------------------------------------------------------

to be continued...
*Sorry for the incoherence and other stuff. I was bored, hehe.*

[-the world is full of people with tall tales to sell-]
Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.com

- n|x - was loved at 10:59 PM
[link to post] [0 smiles for me :)]
~I will keep your secrets. Just think of me as the pages of your diary.~


[ Photos ] [ Anthology ] [ Tagboard ] [ Links ]