Monday, May 15, 2006


an understatement
*My body clock's going haywire again. I slept from 7 to 12midnight last night, was up and online until 5am, was back in bed and stayed in it until 12noon. Hurray for nocturnal creatures!

*Attended Mass earlier and then ate at The Pizza Company in Festi for dinner. I saw Robby and Poch's families there too.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers."

We rarely "celebrate" (read: to observe (a day or event) with ceremonies of respect, festivity, or rejoicing) special occasions in our family. Its something that weve just gotten used to ever since. Sometimes I wish it were different - like maybe we could aplify the little things like giving cake and flowers and the usual stuff other people give on a special day such as this. But despite the absence of the cheeziness/sweetness, I think that the mere fact that were all still together and still share laughs together make it more than anyone could ever ask for. And I sure am lucky to have what I have now.

My mom's life is a success story in itself. She grew up in Batangas in a family of 8 (I think) who unfortunately lost their wealth as they grew up. Being the eldest, she knew she had to work extra harder to make dreams come true - not only hers, but of her siblings as well. Id always laugh at her nung-dalaga-pa-ako kwentos whenever she narrates how her old suitors would line up outside of their house every night waiting for her to choose from one of them. But up until she reached college, she never got into a relationship, not because she didnt want to, but because she had her priorities straightened out. And during that time, her studies and her family were on top of her list. It was a good thing she graduated valedictorian and got a scholarship right after high school since my grandparents couldnt afford to pay for college here in Manila. Her persevearance and desire to make things better for her and her family drove her to excel in her studies and, at the same time, toil as a working student. It was never easy, she said, but I just knew I had to do it.

From then on, she's remained as the breadwinner of her family. Although her plans for her siblings didnt go exactly as planned, she still continues to offer help and guidance up to this day - still acting like the big Ate that she is. She has made great sacrifices for the people she loves and has given us more than we can ever imagine possible. The simple probinsyana in her always thought it to be unthinkable to attain such accomplishments, but despite all the difficulties she went through, she never settled for mediocrity. She was bold and gentle, driven and vulnerable, ambitious and content. Those thoughts of my mother have clung to me all my life, and I have her to thank for the zeal I have in me now. That, and everything my family is and will be, we owe it all to her.

She may never get to read this, but I hope she knows she's my hero. :)

- n|x - was loved at 12:40 AM
[link to post] [0 smiles for me :)]
~I will keep your secrets. Just think of me as the pages of your diary.~


[ Photos ] [ Anthology ] [ Tagboard ] [ Links ]